Blog and Events
June 2nd is rapidly approaching and we wanted to let those of you who have already purchased tickets (and those who are still thinking about it) know that The Cliffs Resort (805) 773-5000 and Spyglass Inn at (805) 773-4855 are both offering for special rates just for event attendees! Just call and mention Afternoon of Epicurean Delights!
Thank you to The Cliffs Resort and Spyglass Inn!
We also wanted to take a moment to recognize our sponsors, who have made this event possible!
Event Sponsor: Joan G. Sargen
Jay & Carol Devore
Get your Tickets today!
If you wish to purchase tickets by phone please call 1-800-838-3006 option 1 and request Afternoon of Epicurean Delights.
You can purchase tickets in-person at the Crushed Grape, San Luis Obispo Chamber of Commerce, Pismo Beach Chamber of Commerce and Arroyo Grande Chamber of Commerce.
“Healthy Eating for Successful Living”
Free, evidenced-based nutrition classes for adults ages 60 and over
The Adult Wellness & Prevention Screening Program from Community Action Partnership is offering free nutrition classes for adults 60 and over. These fun, interactive classes will be held on Fridays from 1:15 – 3:45 pm beginning April 19th through May 24th at the San Luis Senior Center. The six workshops will include goal setting techniques, active involvement in analyzing your diet, tracking physical changes, information on cardiovascular and bone health, cooking demonstrations, and a free lunch outing upon completion of the course. Class is limited to 14 participants.
Funding for this workshop was made possible through a grant from the Area Agency on Aging.
Grant Funds will assist teen parents and their children with basic needs
SAN LUIS OBISPO: Early parenthood puts teens and their children at risk of life-long poverty. Contributing to this issue is a 60% high school drop-out rate for teen mothers. Additionally, babies born to teens are more at risk for low-birth weight, referrals to Child Welfare Services, and developmental delays. Early parenthood, and the associated poverty, low-educational attainment, and various other risk factors, are often intergenerational.
In 2011 and 2012, grants from Central Coast Funds for Children have supported the Community Action Partnership of San Luis Obispo County Teen Academic Parenting Program (TAPP) in its mission to improve outcomes for pregnant youth, teen parents, and their children.
In 2012, TAPP served 151 pregnant youth and parenting teens and 148 of their children and had 74% high school graduation rate (for age eligible youth). TAPP finds success with its one-to-one client support and client directed goal setting. Pregnant youth and teen parents are paired with a case manager who helps them navigate challenges and set goals, including high school completion and college or job training enrollment. TAPP provides support services that guide pregnant youth and teen parents as they work towards financial independence and successful parenting, providing education on child nutrition, child development, and engaged parenting skills. Additionally the case managers provide assistance with finding prenatal care and/or a pediatrician, enrolling children in child care, and accessing other appropriate support services help pregnant and parenting teens find the resources they need to be successful parents.
One current TAPP client explains “If it wasn’t for this program, I don’t think I would have even gone back to school and attempted to get my GED.”
Grant funds from Central Coast Funds for Children allow TAPP to provide parenting support groups, transportation assistance, and help with basic needs such as diapers, formula, and other essential baby items—essential services that are not covered through the program’s funding from the Adolescent Family Life and CalLearn programs.
For more information about Teen Academic Parenting Program, please contact Tracy Lang Wood (805) 544.2484 ext. 720, or visit http://tapp.capslo.org.
- 26th Annual Afternoon of Epicurean Delights
- San Luis Obispo Family Resource Center
- We’re on a Mission
- Message from the Chief Executive Officer
- Garage and Bake Sale to Benefit Maxine Lewis Memorial Shelter
- June is Men’s Health Month
- April is STD Awareness Month
- 11th Annual Teen Monologues is Coming Thursday May 2nd
- KSBY Talks about the Afternoon of Epicurean Delights and the Chapman Estate!
- Fundraiser Night at Chino's for Community Action Partnership
- Trivia Brain Challenge 2013
- Community Action Partnership of San Luis Obispo County Adult Day Center Raises $5,871 at Annual Fancy Hat Tea Party and Fashion Show
- Teen Monologues Community Performance
- Behind the Scenes at Community Action Partnership: Supporting Healthier Families
- Behind the Scenes at Community Action Partnership: What’s Cooking?
- Culinary Carnival Benefitting the Prado Day Center will be Sunday, February 24, 2013
- It Starts with Me: Building a Community without Bullying
- Liberty Tattoo Removal Program Receives Grant for New Laser Machine
- Free Breast Cancer Screening Clinic October 20th
- Community Action Works!